Thursday, May 8, 2008

Revealing Circumstances

Someone told me many years ago that the best way to determine a person’s character is not to watch how they act, but rather how they react. How do they respond when things don’t go their way, when they are jolted by the unforeseen or are simply treated poorly by someone else?

How many times has someone surprised you with a snippy comment that seemed out of line? How many times have you surprised yourself?

What does this have to do with business? Everything. Because our character as a business owner or manager is the single-most important factor in the long-term success of our company (in addition to details such as having a viable product, a receptive market, and a solid business plan). Who we are sets the tone for everything that happens under our watch – whether we acknowledge it or not.

Even if we say all the right things and outwardly do all the right things most of the time, how we react in a time of crisis or when a client is unfair or a vendor lets us down will ultimately reveal itself for all to see. And it is not about losing your temper, it is about responding in a way that is consistent with how you conduct yourself no matter the circumstances.

So what’s the best insurance against a public character meltdown? While I certainly have had my share of regrettable reactions, I find that doing my best to make the same decisions whether anyone is watching or not certainly helps. If I work to consistently make ethical, stand-up decisions that steer clear of gray areas and long explanations, then I am less likely to be caught off guard. It is like the familiar sports mantra that you only play as well as you practice. It applies to business as well.

Speaking of sports and character, I really want to encourage you to watch the following clip from ESPN. It tells the moving story of two college softball players who demonstrated exceptional character in coming to the aid of an opposing player – just because it was the right thing to do.

It makes me hope that I would have done the same.

Check it out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=jocw-oD2pgo&feature=related

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had seen this clip and was truly moved by a quality that I find lacking in todays enviroment. It reminded me a little of time 21 years ago when I was working a large job that a competitor had received a portion of. His equipment gave up around 2 in the morning as we were finished. My partner and I looked at each other and decided to walk over and give him our equipment so he could finish and get on with the project.
Sometimes you just have to know that the competitor can be just a important to the whole as your part in it!